Trustee (Finance) – Board of Trustees (Voluntary Position)
Start Date: 2022
Hours: The Board meets at least 3 times a year,
Term: 3 years. You may choose to stand for re-election for a maximum further 2 terms.
Please note that Trustee roles are unremunerated voluntary positions, although reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
BMF was founded by Soukeyna Osei-Bonsu and started in 2018 to address a social need that wasn’t met in the UK and to help advocate for and educate Black Muslims across the globe. Our work is manyfold, focussed on community programmes, awareness-raising and research and policy. We have fostered strong relationships with partners and appeared in several media outlets such Al Jazeera, The Guardian, AMALIAH, 5 Pillars, Trust Building Forum and worked with several partners such as Everyday Muslim, Muslim Council Britain, Black Lives Matter Redbridge and East London Mosque.
Key duties and responsibilities:
This role is suited to candidates who can demonstrate the experience of both a financial and strategic background.
We would be looking to the Finance Trustee to support the Board in ensuring effective financial controls are in place commensurate with risk and to oversee sound monitoring and reporting on the financial health of BMF by the finance function.
Strategic accountabilities are:
- Work collaboratively with Trustees and the Executive team supporting the delivery of our strategic priorities
- To ensure the financial resources of the charity meet its present and future needs
- To ensure the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
- To advise on financial implication of the charity strategic plan
- To ensure that the accounts are audited and prepared in accordance with SORP and Company law & any auditors recommendations are implemented, the accounts are included in the annual report and are submitted to the relevant statutory bodies (Charity Commission/ Companies House)
- To contribute to fundraising strategy of the charity
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Qualified accountant with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Financial experiences and business planning skills
- Ability to disseminate information financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders
- A fundamental desire to see Black Muslims and Black people in a better condition, better represented and advocated for
- A history of /interest in Black activism
- A consistent drive and passion to attain goals and objectives in order to help promote Black dignity
- A willingness to speak their mind
Location: Board will typically meet remotely but will have the option of the meeting in person 22/23.
Want to know more? If you would like to more about what the role involves or to discuss the position, please contact our CEO Soukeyna Osei-Bonsu, email@example.com
Further information on the role and responsibilities of a Trustee can be found on the Charity Commission website gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-whats-involved